Monday, March 5, 2018

Poetry Lesson: Apostrophe


This is the latest in a series of posts dedicated to introducing poetry forms and tools that help poetry shine. See the Poetry Lessons link on the right to view more lessons.

Apostrophe: A poem that addresses, or speaks to, a person or object that can’t hear or respond.

Example:

My Old Friend
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Little old rag doll
With bright red hair,
Eyes like emeralds
And skin so fair.

Wears a blue dress
With a patchwork square,
Worn out apron
With a crooked tear.

Little old rag doll
Propped in a chair,
Looking at me
With a peaceful stare.

My friend and I,
We make quite a pair,
With hugs to give,
Endless love to share.

Copyright 2007 Kimberly M. Hutmacher Hopscotch for Girls Magazine

The above poem is an example of an Apostrophe poem, because the rag doll that I am addressing in the poem cannot respond.

Challenge: Look around the space you are in. Pick one object, and attempt to write a poem that speaks to that object. Happy Poem-Making!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.