Thursday, April 5, 2018

Onomatopoeia [Poetry Friday]



This week's Poetry Friday Round Up is hosted by The Poem Farm. Be sure to check out all the great posts. 

One of my favorite poetry tools is Onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia is the use of of words or phrases that imitate sounds. And, since Onomatopoeia is so fun to say, I think it's the perfect name for this useful tool.

Sounds of Summer 
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Whirrr!
Daddy mows the grass.
Pop!
Sister blows a bubble.
Whoosh!
Mother throws the ball.
Crash!
Brother is in trouble!
Copyright 2007 Babybug Magazine

The italicized words help us hear the sound of the lawn mower, the popping of bubbles, the ball whistling through the air, and the sound of the resulting crash.

I believe the following poem is really a celebration of sounds.

Clatter
by Joyce Armor

If I should list my favorite words,
They'd sound a lot like this:

Rumble, crash, snort, jangle, thump,
Roar, fizzle, splat, moo, hiss.

Then there's grunt, toot, cuckoo,
Thunder, wheeze, bang, mush,

Rattle, splash, rip, ding-dong, and--
My parents' favorite: Hush!

Challenge: Write a poem that celebrates some of your favorite sound words.

Happy Poetry Month and Happy Poem-Making!

10 comments:

  1. Fun post, Kimberly! Great ending for "Sounds of Summer."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sound words, they make me pop awake, like when jack springs from his box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fun, onomatopoeia poems! I may just take that challenge later this month. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These poems are great! I love the first one for my middle school students. I'm going to keep that one to share with them. And, I totally agree with you on the saying of the word onomatopoeia....I made a clipboard for school of all onomatopeoia words cut out of old discarded graphic novels. I give kids a prize if they can tell me the theme of my clipboard. It's really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how both poems tell stories through the sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such fun poems--and such fun to read aloud to really celebrate all the sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sounds make fun reading--love these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed how you carried a whole narrative in those few words. As we've experienced this...the surprise ending gave me a good laugh! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun onomatopoeia poems–so lively, thanks Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I now need to go and write some sound poems. Such fun poems.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.