Thursday, June 21, 2018

My Favorite Poetry Writing Resources [Poetry Friday]


Welcome to Poetry Friday. Please check out this week's entire round up at Michelle Kogan's blog

I recently turned in the final book in a contracted 4-book wfh series. I enjoyed the subject matter, the research, and the writing, but I only had 5 weeks to complete the project. I was in full-on nonfiction writing mode with little time for anything else. My two writing loves are nonfiction and poetry, but it's very difficult for me to do both at the same time and then to dive back into one or the other after a break. With this project behind me, I was really looking forward to writing some new poetry, but alas, when I sat down to write, it all just seemed like garbage. But that's okay. I let myself write the garbage. With time and work, some of that garbage might turn into something special.

The other thing I did to get back into the poetry swing of things was to revisit some of my favorite poetry writing resources. 



1. This first one is a newer resource for me. Several weeks ago I won a copy of JoAnn Early Macken's Write A Poem Step by Step. From the basics of rhythm, meter, and rhyme to poetry forms to coming up with ideas and using exciting language and imagery, this book covers it all. She also provides chapters with writing exercises, revision techniques, and guidance on  getting your work published.



2. An older favorite is Poem Crazy by Susan G. Wooldridge. If you've ever read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, in my opinion, this would be the poetry equivalent. It provides equal parts inspiration and technique.



3. Some of my favorite "tool" books to use when writing are Flip Dictionary by Barbara Ann Kipfer, Ph.D. (the best book to help you find the best word) and Merriam Webster's Rhyming Dictionary

4. Last but not least, I read lots of great poetry. Thank goodness for libraries and Poetry Friday :) This practice is more inspiring and more of an education than anything else. 

How do you get yourself out of a writing rut? 


25 comments:

  1. I ❤️ this post! I’ve been a little stressed lately and just pulled out Poem Crazy & my Flip Dictionary. I have added a guided sketch book for creative cross training and poems can be teachers. I’ll be back for more ideas later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your resources, Linda. I'm adding to my list! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Kimberly. I'm new to your site but let me say hey there. Kudos on turning in fast-deadline contracted pages of The Work.
    Good vibes for your poem making. We are buddies in owning the boosting books of Joan Ann Early Macken & Susan Wooldridge.
    FlipDictionary is new to me - many appreciations for the tiopff.

    Happy Summer Solstice Weekend,
    Jan at Bookseedstudio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan! Welcome to my blog. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kimberley! I have & have used the first two, wonderful resources, will look for # 3, a new book to me. Now with your project ending, hope you enjoy other writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice short focused list, Kimberly! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have JoAnn's book waiting for me to dive into it and would love to explore the others. Thanks for sharing them. I agree the the Poetry Friday posts are some of the best poetry inspiration and education around. I learn so much each week. Congratulations on finishing your writing project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the resources. I have the Flip Dictionary but need to see the other two books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, jama. Hope you enjoy the other books as much as I do :)

      Delete
  7. I really should get Poem Crazy. I have an e-folder of poem prompts and forms which I use to get myself going. You're right, reading lots of great poetry is also a wonderful stimulant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Poem Crazy is just so good. Definitely pick up a copy when you can.

      Delete
  8. Maybe you just need some wind-down time, that sure is a fast turnaround for your project. That "Flip Dictionary" looks interesting, thanks for sharing it. Happy summer solstice and poetry journeys …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Michelle. I need a bit of a break. And, even though the poetry I have written this week hasn't been great, sometimes I have to write through the so-so to get to the great. Thanks for hosting this week!

      Delete
  9. PoemCrazy helped me out this week. I posted a really rough poem exercise I used about names. I can go back to this book over and over and never get tired of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poem Crazy is a treasure for poets. Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Margaret :)

      Delete
  10. These are great resources. Thanks for sharing. When I get in a writing rut, I set myself an assignment for a week or a month and practice every day. It shakes the worries and the inner critic out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally get that 'permission to write rubbish'. There were a couple of days on my MayGibbs that my daily word count was low, and everything I did write was flat... But two days later when I came back to it, I tweaked a few words and the poems sang... And I wondered why I didn't recognise their true potential earlier. :) As they say, you can't edit a blank page. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and resources. And congratulations on your productivity with NF. Though I do have to ask... What is 'wfh'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WFH stands for Work-for-Hire. I was paid a set one-time fee and won't receive any future royalties. This is pretty standard for nonfiction series books.
      And yes, you can't edit an empty page. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for these resources. All of them are new to me; I love BIRD BY BIRD, so I think I will start with POEM CRAZY. In April, when I was trying to write poetry for thirty days in a row, I turned to Golden Shovel poems. They were a fun kickstarter for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these resources! I forgot my flip dictionary was called Flip Dictionary, so I read your description and thought, huh...That sounds familiar:>) These are indeed all great tools!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And congrats on finishing your set of books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.