Thursday, April 19, 2018

Poetry Friday: Lune Poems




Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week’s round up is hosted by Tabatha Yeatts:The Opposite of Indifference blog. Be sure to check out all the great posts.

This week, I’m tackling the Lune form of poetry. The Lune also goes by the name American Haiku. It was originally created by Robert Kelly. Kelly didn’t feel the rules of the traditional Haiku worked well with the English language. His Lune consists of a 13-syllable, self-contained poem that has 5 syllables in the first line, 3 syllables in the second line and 5 syllables in the last line. Here is an example of a Kelly-Lune I came up with this afternoon:

Naked limbs shiver
Missing leaves
No cold winter coat

Copyright 2018 Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Lune rhymes with moon. Notice that in a Kelly-Lune, the poem takes the shape of a crescent moon. This is no accident. Also, the 13 syllables correspond to the 13 lunar months.

A variant of the Lune was created by Jack Collom. His form is also three lines, but his is word-based, not syllable based. His structure has 3 words in the first line, 5 words in the second line and 3 words in the last line.

The following are examples of Collom-Lunes created by my daughter, Madison.

Chocolate brown pond
Puffy marshmallow clouds on top
Comfy, cozy, toasty

Sweet frosty mountains
Running with chocolate syrup rivers
Cherry on peak

Take a journey
Into a beautiful, magical land
Imaginations run wild.

Copyright 2018 Madison Hutmacher

Challenge: Attempt to write both a Kelly-Lune and a Collom-Lune on the same topic.
Happy Poem-Making!

P.S. Earlier this week I posted a review of Laura Pudie Salas' new book, MEET MY FAMILY. If you haven't read it yet, I encourage you to click over. This book is a treasure.

28 comments:

  1. I like your winter poem. Nice imagery. Your daughter has a knack for poetry too. The two about chocolate are especially wonderful. I love the chocolate theme and the unexpected in both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is making me hungry! LOL Great lunes. I'm a loon for lunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think she must have been hungry/thirsty when she wrote these (ice cream and hot chocolate themes). Love your word play with Lune/loon :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed learning about the Lune form and reading your poem. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about these variations on haiku. I like them and will give them a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about lunes today! I didn't know about either kind. My special favorite is your daughter's "sweet frosty mountains." Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting new (to me) haiku forms! Well played -- both you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's snowing again here in Denver, so the trees still shiver. Love that you shared some of the background of the poems and your and your daughter's, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed just yesterday that our trees are beginning to bud. We're hopeful the shivering is coming to an end and spring is finally here for real :)

      Delete
  8. Such fun! Thank you for introducing us to these Lunes and for inviting us to try out our own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kiesha. If you end up trying them out, please feel free to share them here. I would love to read them :)

      Delete
  9. These are fun! I just heard of lunes recently when a student introduced me to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved learning about both types of lunes. Another fun form to try! Thanks to you and your daughter for some fine mentors and for the challenge! (Our trees are shivering here still as well, but I'm hopeful that will change soon. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the challenge, Molly, and I hope the limbs in your area stop shivering soon! :)

      Delete
  11. Both of these forms are new to me and sound like they'll be fun to play with. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked learning about this new haiku form and that the Lune takes the shape of a crescent moon, fun poems here, thanks Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kimberly, these forms are new to me, though my haiku are often 10-13 syllables because, as you say, the rules for Japanese haiku don't translate perfectly for our language. I love your Lune about the cold winter branches, and your daughter's chocolate poems are delightful.

    longing for warm spring
    maple buds
    wake to snow and ice

    maple buds burst
    wake to snow and ice
    longing for spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce Ray, thank you for sharing your poems. They are lovely!

      Delete
  14. Love this poem of yours and plan to try making some lune poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheriee, I'm looking forward to reading your Lunes. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.