Thursday, April 26, 2018

Poetry Friday: Metaphor

This week's Poetry Friday is hosted by Irene Latham's Live Your Poem blog. Be sure to stop by and check out all of the wonderful posts.

This week, I'm exploring the use of metaphor in poetry. Metaphor is defined as a figure of speech that makes a comparison by calling one thing something else.


Perfect for a Picnic
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher 

A baby blue sky
A bright golden sun
The perfect blanket
For afternoon fun! 
Copyright 2003 Poetry Play for Preschoolers

The above poem uses metaphor when it refers to the sun and sky as a blanket.



Nature's Jewelry
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Brilliant moon, sparkling stars
Radiant, pure, bright
Nature's precious diamonds
Lighting up the night.
Copyright 2018 Kimberly M. Hutmacher

In this example, the moon and stars are metaphorically referred to as diamonds.

Challenge: Since both of my examples were nature inspired, take a walk outside. Study your surroundings. Find something in nature that inspires you. Ask yourself what else it could be? Attempt to write a poem about it using metaphor.


16 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly! I love that baby blue sky. :) Metaphor is one of my most favorite things to play with in poetry... and what I enjoy so much as a reader. I love a good surprise! Thank you for sharing these poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love metaphor too, Irene. For me, it's one of the most accessible tools, and I love studying things and trying to figure what else they look or act similar to. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely pairing of your sun and moon poems, Kimberly! Wishing you a weekend of sunshine and moonlight as we tiptoe toward this month's full moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good examples for young kids' writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poems and use of metaphor Kimberly, the moon image and water is beautiful too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images with your metaphors! I'm headed out for a walk and will be looking for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These metaphors are very clear and the challenge is nicely accessible. I may see if my children are up for trying this tomorrow. (Depends on how agreeable they're feeling!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful metaphor, comparing the stars to diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My students LOVE to discover metaphors (whether in poems or in prose)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, Mary Lee. I always think it's fun to look at things and try to figure out what else they look like or act like. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. My favorite poem for teaching the concept of metaphor to the youngest children is "Clouds" by Christina Rossetti. We talk about why on earth the poet called the poem "Clouds" when there are no clouds in it at all! ; )

    And, I recently discovered that there are quite a few people out there who don't constantly think in metaphor--including my spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your comment made me chuckle, Heidi. Yes, I can just imagine your students saying, "Clouds? What about those sheep?!" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.