Thursday, February 14, 2019

Poetry Friday: Peekity Boo- What You Can Do Heidi Bee Roemer Interview

Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week’s Round Up is hosted by Check It Out blog. Be sure to click over and enjoy all of the poetic goodness being shared. This week, I’m so honored to bring you an interview with poet/author Heidi Bee Roemer. I began writing poetry after taking a class with Heidi, and she has been someone that I admire both personally and professionally ever since. She is as sweet as she is incredibly talented. Heidi has a new rhyming picture book, PeekityBoo- What You Can Do (Henry Holt, March 2019), coming soon to a bookstore near you, and today, she is sharing a little bit about this wonderful new work.

Hello, Heidi! Welcome to the blog and thank you for joining us for Poetry Friday!

1. How did you get the idea for your latest rhyming picture book, Peekity Boo- What You Can Do?

The idea for Peekity Boo! was sparked by two things. One was sweet memories of my two little boys (long since grown) splashing in the tub, snuggling up with a book, and kissing them goodnight. The second was musing how fun it would be to experience those moments with grandchildren someday. Babies are so precious! After all, "There are ears to nuzzle. Towel to snuggle. Belly to tickle. Toesies to wiggle!"


2. What was the writing process like for this book? Did it come together quickly, or were there lots of revisions? Did it find a home right away, or did that take some time?

It was all rather miraculous. Once I stumbled upon the lovely word pattern, the story came easily, the sale was quick, and revisions were minor. I submitted the manuscript to my former editor at Henry Holt. Christy Ottaviano is the wonderful editor who snatched another manuscript of mine from the slush pile a few years ago and published my debut book in 2004, Come to My Party and Other Shape Poems.


3. This book has lots of fun language. What’s your favorite line? Any particular reason for that choice?

Blippity Blub! I'm glad you asked that question, Kim! My favorite line is "Buggity boo! Now what do we do?" which is paired with an illustration of a toddler looking crestfallen as the bubbles in his bathtub disappear down the drain.

The reason? I love playful words and silly nonsense phrases. As a toddler myself, I went wild every time I heard a song called "The Hawaiian War Chant." The lyrics were, "Whicky whicky WHACK! Whicky whacky WOO! Bugbug BOOO hoo! BOOO hoo!" My mother said she couldn't believe my reaction when she played that old 45. I would roll and flop around on the floor in a hysterical heap of giggles and wiggles. When the song ended, I begged her to play it again. And again. Until I was happily exhausted. I liked that song apparently.


4. Tell us about the illustrations. Did you include any illustration notes with the manuscript? Was there any collaboration with the illustrator, Mike Wohnoutka?

I didn't feel the need to include illustrator's notes and had no collaboration with my illustrator. Mike instinctively knew just how to capture the characters with simplicity and sweetness. His illustrations bring this little boy and his family to life with a glowing warmth and coziness. The endpapers feature smiling teddybears, bunnies, ducks and whales. Mike's artwork is delightful!

5. Who is your audience for this book? Where can we pre-order our copies?

Peekity Boo What YOU Can Do!is geared for wigglers, droolers, pint-size poopers, toddlers, crawlers and chewers and all readers ages 5 to 105. Available March 19, it can be pre-ordered through Anderson's Bookshops (https://www.andersonsbookshop.com/shop), IndieBound.org., Amazon or Barnes and Noble.


6. Do you have some other books in the pipeline? What’s on the horizon for you?

Ah! I'm expecting again! New books, that is. Two board books Who Says Uh Oh? and Who Says Peekaboo? will be published this fall. Hide-and-Seek at the Construction Site: A Lift the Flap Book is a companion book to Hide-and-Seek on the Farm (2018). Lastly, The ABC's of Kindness will be available in 2020. All are published by Highlights Press.

Bio
From the moment Heidi hatched from her chrysalis, she was an itty bitty bookworm who devoured books. Heidi fell in love with children's books for a second time when she began reading to her two little boys. In 1992, Heidi sprouted her wings, joined the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, plugged in her shiny new word processor and began writing for children in earnest. She has since sold over 400 children's poems and stories to dozens of children's magazines and anthologies and has several picture books to her credit including Come to My Party and Other Shape Poems, What Kinds of Seeds are These? and Whose Nest is This?. She is a former instructor for the Institute of Children’s Literature and a writer-in-residence for Chicago Public schools. "Heidi Bee" has given hundreds of presentations at schools, libraries and other literary venues. For more information, visit www.heidibroemer.com.


48 comments:

  1. This interview is as delightful as its subject! Thanks for sharing, Kimberly. And CONGRATS, Heidi, on this newest book and all the others in the pipeline. So happy for all your recent good news, and I'm also happy so many new wee readers will be able to enjoy your words as much as you enjoyed that 45. (I sort of pictured you as you are now acting out the sounds, and that was a pretty fun image...) ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words, Robyn, and SO glad we had the chance to meet in person a few years ago. But I guess I let the cat out of bag, so to speak. Anyone who listened to a 45 record as a kid--like me-- must be terribly ancient! ;>)

      Delete
  2. I love all the questions you asked, Kimberly, about Heidi's wonderful new book. It's a delightful "peekity" of it. Time to order for the next 'baby' in my life! Thanks! And congratulations to Heidi for this one & the others following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you, for the delightful interview! Heidi's new book sounds adorable. I love playful language. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of playful language, too, jama. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I know you do, Jama! Your name, for example, also has a delightful ring to it! Thanks for chiming it today!

      Delete
  4. Lovely interview Kimberly and responses Heidi. All the best with your new book Heidi, and the one's to follow too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words from a fellow poet, talented artist and all around creative soul! Thanks, Michelle!

      Delete
  5. Much appreciated, Michelle! Thank you for your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heartfelt thanks to you, Kimberly, for being such a loyal friend and supportive fellow-writer for 14+ years. Our friendship continues to grow, as does my admiration of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my pleasure, Heidi! I'm so happy to celebrate you and your newest book baby! :)

      Delete
  7. I, too, am a fan of playful language. And I can't think of a better publisher to work with than Highlights. Congrats on your long-term success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun interview. I love the word play in the book. What a great new book to have in the world

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this marvelous interview. I can't wait to see this delightful book! Congratulations, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carmela. I'm looking forward to adding the book to my granddaughter's bookshelf.

      Delete
    2. Nice to hear from you, Carmela! Hugs!

      Delete
  10. This was a delightful interview, full of word love! I'm enchanted by the description of toddler Heidi whooping it up to the Hawaiian War Chant song (which I'll be googling asap!). Great questions, Kimberley, and congrats to you, Heidi! Oh...and the author bio is fabulous--fun and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. So happy to hear you enjoyed the intervew.

      Delete
    2. So sweet of you to write, Molly. BTW, I also googled that song, but never found the silly ridiculous version I enjoyed so much as a kid. If you stumble across it, please let me know! ;>)

      Delete
  11. Great interview! I, too, had a story on a 45 record I would listen to over and over again when I was little. Also, that is the best description of intended audience I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember listening to those stories on 45s too, Lindsay. And yes, Heidi has an amazing way with words! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lindsay! They say vinyl records may be making a comeback, but I can't image that those oldie-but-goodie 45's will ever be mainstream again.

      Delete
  12. Such a fun interview! Thanks for the positive and happy vibe. I came home from a long week and just CRASHED last night. I am reviving with wonderful Poetry Friday posts this morning. Many congratulations on your new book and soon to be books. So happy for you and all the great folks who will get to enjoy the words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to start your weekend--reading Poetry Friday posts! Thank you for sharing such encouraging words, Mitchell!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed out loud when I read Heidi's intended audience: "geared for wigglers, droolers, pint-size poopers, toddlers, crawlers and chewers and all readers ages 5 to 105." Thank you, Kimberly, for introducing Heidi and her fun books. I'm so glad I stopped by your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Alice, and for leaving such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  15. I'm happy I could make you smile, Alice! I hope my pee-wee readers will feel happy and loved when they look at the pictures and hear the words read aloud. I say, let the children enjoy being children!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at Peekity-Boo! Sounds like a perfect gift for several new babies in my life. My nature-loving Kindergarten poets are already big fans of Whose Nest is This? Thank you for sharing this lovely interview, Kimberly! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the interview, Christie. I think Peekity Boo is the perfect gift for the newest bundles of joy in your life :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Christie. You're obviously a fellow booklover who shares the love of reading with precious little ones!

      Delete
  17. What a fun interview, Kimberly, and what a great toddler book, Heidi. The rhyming in these lines is delightful: "Buggity boo! Now what do we do?" I can see my toddler grandbaby loving this book as much as she loves her baths. In our new NYS Lifelong Practices of Readers and Writers the descriptor of writers that describes what Heidi has done is: experiment and play with language. Well Done, the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol. Thanks for writing in. I googled "Lifelong Practices of Readers and Writers". Fascinating! I'd love to attend this conference one day!

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the interview! I always love hearing back histories and process notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mary Lee. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mary Lee. It's always great to hear from a fellow poet. (We both have poems in the Poetry Friday Anthology, for one.) Wishing you continued success with your writing!

      Delete
  19. O glee! Reading this makes me want to play peek-a-boo immediately! Perhaps I will waken our old Ginger cat to cuddle & have some fun, in substitute for a babe in arms. Delightful visit - many appreciations & silly plays all the day, to you each.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your energy and enthusiasm, Jan! Have fun playing, pouncing, and peek-a-boo-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this lovely interview with Heidi. I was lucky enough to take a poetry class with Heidi last year--and I agree with your description of her. She is a wonderful poet and a kind and lovely person, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Susan. How wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for your kind words...and for staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.