Thursday, May 9, 2019

Poetry Friday: Instructions To Wind


Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week's round up is hosted by Elizabeth Steinglass. Be sure to click over to enjoy all of this week's poetry goodness.

I spent the first seven days of May participating in NaPiBoWriWee- National Picture Book Writing Week, and I promised an update on how I did. I was able to get 5 first drafts completed. I didn't make it to seven, but I accomplished way more in a week than I usually do. Now it's time to start revising :)

Now, for another challenge. Michelle at Today's Little Ditty blog is back with monthly challenges to get our creative juices flowing. This month, Michelle invited Elizabeth Steinglass to lead the way. Elizabeth challenged us to write a poem that gives instructions to an inanimate object on how to do its job. Here is my addition:

Instructions To Wind
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Blow so lightly, a gentle breeze.
Rustle leaves hanging from trees.
Whip and gust. Dry up mud.
Evaporate puddles from the flood.
Play a tune on front porch chimes-
A lullabye for summer times.
Carry kites across the sky.
Help the birds to soar and fly.
Fan the flames for our weiner roast.
Build surf waves along the coast.
Whirl and swirl! Move that air!
Just please try not to muss my hair!

Copyright 2019 Kimberly M. Hutmacher

If you would like to join in on this challenge, you have the rest of May to add your instruction poem to Michelle's padlet.

Last but not least, look for a new vlog post on seeds coming this week from S.T.E.A.M. Powered Poetry!




28 comments:

  1. Nice job on the poetry prompt, and fun poem Kimberly–So glad you put in these request for the wind, perhaps it will respond to a few…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! So far, my request in the final line has been completely ignored :)

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! I love that last line....oh, the hair! Such a pretty poem...and so kid-like with the weiner roast. I get wrapped up in the birds soaring and flying. What a great response to the prompt. I love it. And, yes....for sure this goes along with the graduation cap poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm so glad you enjoyed the poem :)

      Delete
  3. "Carry kites across the sky" - lovely! And such a fun ending. Thanks for sharing, Kimberly, and may winds of inspiration continue to blow your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! I'm so glad you enjoyed the poem. Wishing the winds of inspiration your way as well :)

      Delete
  4. I love all the different windy characteristics you include in this poem, Kimberly—the gentleness, the whipping and gusting, the lullaby porch chimes, the whirling and swirling, and soaring birds and kites—but unfortunately I don't think your hair stands a chance of remaining un-mussed! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! No, that final line has been to no avail with these Spring winds :) Thank you for hosting the challenge.

      Delete
  5. So lovely! I especially love, "play a tune on front porch chimes..."
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! We have two sets of chimes on porch that the wind plays most everyday.

      Delete
  6. Love it -- the ending made me smile :). Have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jama, and Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

      Delete
  7. Love the ending & I tried to choose a favorite line, but they're all wonderful, Kimberly! That is the wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! So happy you enjoyed it, and yes, that last line is to no avail for me and these spring winds :)

      Delete
  8. Apostrophe poems can be very moving when done well, and yours is! I love the idea of you addressing the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the end of your poem! It was 97 outside today. I surely could have used some Whirl and swirl! to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Cheriee. We've made into the low 80s a day or two, but we haven't gotten anywhere close to 97 yet. Wishing you cool whirls and swirls.

      Delete
  10. Love this! What a perfect topic to write about. I giggled when I got to the weiner roast line and the ending is completely relatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz, and thanks for providing the inspiration!

      Delete
  11. What fun poem! I laughed at the last line. I'm looking forward to trying the prompt--unless I'm so overwhelmed by all the good ones I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kimberly, your poem puts me in a writing mood. Love these lines:
    Evaporate puddles from the flood. (We have had quite a bit of rain.)
    Play a tune on front porch chimes-
    A lullabye for summer times. (thinking about my granddaughter and how lovely the chimes ring on her porch-never thought tune as a lullabye-great lines)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and that it has inpired you to put pen to paper. We have two sets of chimes on our front porch that often put my husband to sleep :)

      Delete
  13. I love that you gave instructions to the wind. I especially like these lines:
    "Play a tune on front porch chimes-
    A lullabye for summer times."
    I love this challenge but haven't yet managed to tackle it. I've seen so many great poems though! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ending made me laugh!

    I'm still looking for the right topic, but I'm definitely going to offer some instructions, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mary Lee, and look forward to reading your instructions, too! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.