Thursday, May 2, 2019

Poetry Friday: Planting Flowers


Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week's round up is hosted by Jama's Alphabet Soup blog. Be sure to click over to enjoy all of this week's poetry goodness.

Now that National Poetry Month is over, I find myslf knee-deep in NaPiBoWriWee- otherwise known as National Picture Book Writing Week. I'm attempting to write first drafts of seven picture books in seven days. So far, I'm on track, but yes, there is definitely a reason it is referred to as a challenge :) 

Since I'm working on picture books, I'm going to cheat a bit here, and share a poem from the archives. I planted some flowers this week, and this oldy but goody came to mind.

Ode to Sunflowers
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Sunflowers, O' Sunflowers,
Reaching for the skies
Glaring at the clouds above
with your chocolate eyes.

Golden faces nodding
as gray gives way to blue
Happy stems a dancing
as the sun shines anew!

Copyright 2016 Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Just to wrap up National Poetry Month, you can see our completed 2019 Progressive Poem here. Thank you, Irene Latham, for once again, leading the way.




My thanks also to Michelle at Today's Little Ditty. Michelle spent the month of April sharing beautiful books of poetry and interviews with their creators. Each day, featured a giveaway. I learned today that I won a digital copy of Alice Faye Duncan's A Song For Gwendolyn Brooks. I'm so excited to read this book and share more about it here.



If you haven't already, be sure to check out my new venture with Heidi Bee Roemer- S.T.E.A.M. Powered Poetry. We hope you'll help us spread the word. We plan to add two new videos along with theme related book suggestions and activities twice a month. We hope to build this site into a valuable resource for educators.

Last but not least, if you're a subscriber to Children's Book Insider, I have an article in this month's issue about finding your perfect writing mentor(s). Be sure to check it out.

23 comments:

  1. You are a busy woman these days, Kimberly! We've had a few flowers and I am so ready for more. Time to plant those sunflowers! Good luck with those 7 manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I hope you'll be seeing your sunflowers blooming soon :)

      Delete
  2. Love your sunflower poem (esp. the chocolate eyes part)! Hooray for May blossoms. :) Good luck with your pb writing challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, jama. Thanks for hosting this week and for your good wishes for the challenge.

      Delete
  3. I love sunflowers. We don't get them here where I live now, but they were plentiful in the Okanagan Valley where I grew up. It's gorgeous to see those fields of flowers dancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have a field not too far away from us, and I had a photographer take pictures of my daughter in it. Needless to say, they are some of my favorite pictures.

      Delete
  4. I am grinning from ear to ear over your ode... love: "Glaring at the clouds above / with your chocolate eyes."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the picture book writing challenge. I'm ready for some sunflowers to glare at the sky with their chocolate eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! Wishing you fields of sunflowers very soon!

      Delete
  6. Wow! 7 picture books in 7 days? I definitely admire your diligence, Kimberly—I couldn't possibly do a challenge like that! I'm much more cut out for dancing like a sunflower. :) Congrats on your giveaway win! I'll be responding to your email soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. This is the first time I'm participating. I don't know how far I'll get, but I felt like I needed a bit of a kick in the pants :)

      Delete
  7. Wow! That does sound like a challenge! I know you can do it, though. And thanks for the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Ruth, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Wow! You have been busy and continue to be so. Most impressive! Your ode is delightful and perfectly timed for me, as I just started trying to write one this morning and was looking for a mentor. :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up sharing your ode on your blog, I would love to read it Molly. I'm happy to have provided some inspiration :)

      Delete
  9. Kimberly, your ode is simply delightful and such a tribute to summer glory. I am impressed with your quest to write 7 picture books in 7 days. You must share how you have the fortitude to do such a feat. I am still planning my first and it has been months of thinking about it. Time is never long enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, this is the first time of I've participated. I had a few ideas going into it, but I have no idea what I'm going to be writing by days 6 and 7. I'll update on how it all went next Friday. Wishing you all the best with your first picture book baby.

      Delete
  10. Oooh. "chocolate eyes" -- so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite and undertaking, Kimberly! It's so dreary here in New England lately. I can't imagine when the sunflowers will reach for the sky! Thanks for reminding me that they will, however!!! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and the reminder, Christie. Wishing you fields of sunflowers very soon!

      Delete
  12. I'm also a fan of those chocolate eyes. We grew sunflowers one year that were so tall, our kids stood on Dad's shoulders to measure up to them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.