Friday, July 5, 2019

Poetry Friday: Be changed

Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week's round up is hosted by Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect blog. Be sure to click over to enjoy all of this week's poetry goodness.

A few weeks ago, Linda, at A Word Edgewise, not only hosted poetry friday, she also hosted a clunker swap. Linda shared a list of poetry lines that didn't go anywhere for her (clunkers). Those participating, were asked to take a clunker and leave one behind. One poet's clunker can be another's treasure. I chose the line, Be changed

Some of you know that I babysit my granddaughter while my daughter works and goes to school. When she's with me, I try to plan preschool lessons for us revolving around specific themes. It just so happened that this week's theme was butterflies. Butterflies provided the perfect inspiration for a Be changed poem.

Be Changed, Be You
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Be changed
tiny egg
perched upon that leaf.
Your time as an egg
will be so very brief.

Be changed
furry caterpillar,
eat and eat and eat.
Your time as a caterpillar
will be so very sweet.

Be changed
snuggled chrysalis
wrapped in your coccoon.
Your time as a chrysalis
is ending very soon.

Be you
beautiful butterfly
billowing in the breeze.
Don't change beautiful butterfly-
please, please, please!

Copyright 2019

One last thing! If you happen to have a subscription to Children's Book Insider, check out this month's issue and the article I contributed, "Challenge Accepted."

28 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW! This is beautiful....and so great for kids. I love the meter and the tracking of the change. This is a clunker no more! I'd like to use this in next year's poetry pandemonium at my school--with your permission? Please, please? please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Linda! I would be honored to have it included. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. About more than a butterfly, isn't it, Kimberly. It's lovely, the clunker becomes a 'butterfly'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have collected monarch eggs and watched the whole amazing process. Your poem is such a wonderful story of this. It should be a picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a grandmother who shares a house with one of her sons and grandchild, your poem resonates deeply with me. Each stage seems to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, Cheeriee. My granddaughter just turned two, and I cannot believe how quickly she's grown and changed!

      Delete
  5. Kimberly, I am wondering if you shared your poem with your granddaughter??? It is such a delightful one for a little one to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carol, it's on the agenda for Monday, and then we'll make popsicle butterflies!:)

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely reminder that change can be a good thing and lead to a beautiful future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You transformed Linda's clunker into a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely transformation in your poem Kimberly–and I like the "change" at the end with the butterfly holding on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This really is an example of one person's trash becoming another person's treasure! Our early childhood classes do a unit on life cycles, I know they would love this. Would it be ok to share it with them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How timely -- I just watched the monarch butterfly I had cared for from its tiny "caterpillarhood" climb out of its chrysalis a butterfly and eventually fly free. I have seen so few butterflies this summer...it is scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Mary Lee, I haven't seen many this year either. It seems like they were everywhere last year.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you need to add "clunker transformer" to your resume, Kimberly, right to popsicle butterfly maker! Congrats on your published article too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! We do get diverse resumes as writers, don't we :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like your granddaughter is a lucky girl indeed! I noticed many cabbage butterflies in my neighborhood the past couple of days. This must be their time. It may be brief, but it is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabatha. By this time last year, we were seeing lots of Monarchs, but not so much this year. We hope to see some soon!

      Delete
  13. You found a great way to use Linda's clunker for your granddaughter's learning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun way to use and old clunker. It's a lovely poem--and your granddaughter is lucky to get to hang out with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.