Thursday, July 25, 2019

Poetry Friday: A Found Spider Web Haiku

Welcome to Poetry Friday! This week's round up is hosted by Margaret Simon at Reflctions on the Teche blog. This week, Margaret shares a lovely poem she created as a result of an exercise from the book, STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST. Be sure to click over to enjoy that poem and all of this week's other poetry goodness.

My post this week is in response to Linda Mitchell's Today's Little Ditty Challenge to create a "found haiku" from phrases taken from an article that fascinates us. I recently wanted to learn a bit more about spider webs, so I read this article. I pulled three phrases from the article with just the right syllable counts to create my new "found haiku." This web on some bushes in my front yard also served as inspiration.


                             Half as strong as steel
                      Silk produced from spinnerets
                              All done by instinct

           Copyright 2019 Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Be sure to check out Michelle's padlet with all of the contributions that have been made to this month's challenge.

One last thing! We've added a few more videos and support materials over at STEAM Powered Poetry. Be sure to pop over and check it out, and thanks again for all the likes, shares, and love you've given to our new endeavor. We truly appreciate it.

26 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a great haiku! What beautiful vocabulary in this. I want this for a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've shared your and Heidi's STEAM Powered Poetry with my former colleagues, will remind them later in August, Kimberly. This is great, amazing spiders, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, Linda, and thanks again for sharing our new site! :)

      Delete
  3. Spiders' spinnerets are amazing works of nature. Fascination turned into poetry, your own magic spinneret at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I love that comparison of the work we weave to the weaving that spiders do.

      Delete
  4. Spiders are amazing (even though I don't like them moving into to my house so much). Lovely science haiku found from your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! I like them more outside than inside, too :)

      Delete
  5. Spiders are natural born artist-engineers, aren't they? You've captured a wonderful poem in that web, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly, I love the word spinnerets and know that spiders work very hard at what they do. You seemed to have caught their stick-to-itness in creating this clever found haiku. As I told Kay, I am having difficulty finding the right article. I have been looking in my professional journals and I think they are too scholarly for this task. Nature and human interested pieces might have what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! This challenge let me combine my two favorite genres- poetry and nonfiction. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. I admit that when I first read this poem, I thought of silk worms. Having grown up in an area with poisonous black widow spiders, I learned to fear all spiders. I am trying to appreciate them more, and have learned to find beauty in their webs and brilliant colouring. Your poem reminds me of how marvellous they really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to a bit of a fear, too, Cheriee. I find them much more beautiful and interesting outside of my house rather than inside :)

      Delete
  8. How amazing spiders and their webs that they spin are–Your poem does a marvelous job of cleverly summarizing the wonderful how and why aspects of a spiders creation, thanks Kimberly–great article too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so enjoying my exposure to all the fascinating articles that have been summarized in found haiku for this month's Ditty challenge. This was another great article and your haiku is as intricately woven as a web. Love all the "s" sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. I have a weakness for alliteration :)

      Delete
  10. I love your found haiku--and isn't it wonderful that it had just the right number of syllables! Spiderwebs are among my favorite things to ponder (but I don't really like walking through them!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.