Thursday, October 24, 2019

Poetry Friday: Walnut Tree

Welcome to Poetry Friday. Laura Purdie Salas shared this for her Thursday 15 words of less poetry challenge. Laura's photo got the ball rolling, but I found myself thinking more and more about the walnut tree and its tendency to lose its leaves in early autumn. We've had a few nights that have dipped below the freezing mark, and I can't help but feel for the almost naked tree. 

Walnut in Autumn
by Kimberly M. Hutmacher

Tree arms shiver
Naked of their shrug
Reaching, stretching, pleading,
for a hearty warm-up hug.

Copyright October 2019



We are giving away a copy of Patricia Toht's Pick A Pumpkin over at STEAM Powered Poetry this week. Be sure to click over and scroll down to enter to win.

This week's round up is hosted by Karen Edmiston. You'll want to head over and enjoy all of this week's bounty of poetry goodness.

16 comments:

  1. Nice poem Kimberly, I bet those bare branches would welcome a hug, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely warm poem for a chilly day, Kimberly. Perhaps those walnut trees need some hot cocoa running through their veins. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle. That sounds lovely to me today, too. It's dropping down into the 30s again- brrrr.

      Delete
  3. Like your tree, I dread the end of autumn and those empty cold days of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All set. I tweeted out your special contest and then shared your notice on Facebook, Kimberly. I have been following the trail of this book and it looks so fabulous. Walnut in Autumn is such a lovely poem. Hugs back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Yes, Pick A Pumpkin is such a treat. Best of luck!

      Delete
  5. The trees are starting to look bare in our neighborhood, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had an exceptionally windy day today, and several different kinds of trees in the area have lost a great deal of their leaves. I'll be raking leaves and sweet gumballs soon enough.

      Delete
  6. Naked arms must get chilly, right? Thanks for this image, I will think about it as I watch the leaves fall in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, Karen. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. Your poem feels like a warm hug for those walnut trees. I will hear this as I watch the leaves fall around me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeep. Nights that have dipped below freezing. That's enough to scare the leaves off a tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Kat. There is talk of a first snow on Halloween!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.