Thursday, October 10, 2019

Poetry Friday: It Feels Like Fall




Welcome to Poetry Friday! The leaves are turning vibrant shades of orange, yellow, and red. The air is crisper, and as you can see from the photo above, my porch is bursting with cororful blooming mums and an array of pumpkins. It feels like fall y'all, and it is my absolute favorite time of the year!



This week I'm sharing a few autumn-themed poems from my friend and vlog partner, Heidi Bee Roemer's collection COME TO MY PARTY AND OTHER SHAPE POEMS (Henry Holt 2004). 



Dancing Leaves

Crimson and coral and yellow as butter--
We reach up to snatch waltzing leaves as they flutter.

Hip, hip, hooray for fall's festive confetti!
Let's-- Heap the leaves up and jump!
Are you ready?



Pumpkins for Sale

Rumple dimple dumplin' pumpkin patch!
Buy a perfect pumpkin- mix and match.
Riddle diddle rumpkin pumpkin spree.
Pick one you can carry...
and your pumpkin is free!

I believe this was Heidi's first published trade book. It is full of delightful poems for all seasons, and it's one that has lasted the test of time. It was a favorite of my children, and now my granddaughter is enjoying it, too!

Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core blog is hosting this week's round up. Click over to enjoy all of this week's poetry goodness.



27 comments:

  1. Oh, this post makes me smile, Kimberly - for your exuberant welcome for Fall (my forever-favorite season, too) and for these colorful bouncy words of Heidi's as well... it's always a poetry party when Heidi's around! Thank you, & enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! I'm glad you enjoyed the poems and share my love for Fall :)

      Delete
  2. These are so much fun. Congratulations, Heidi! My favorite line is the jumping rope of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my favorite season, too, and these Heidi's poems are perfect celebrations of the season. I love "fall's festive confetti!" Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Falls festive confetti" is one of my favorite lines, too, Catherine. Heidi has a delightful way with words and images. So glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  4. I love Fall, too, Kimberley, and love these poems of Heidi's that you shared. Our trees are just turning, but leaves "yellow as butter" have been swirling around for a while. And today we had snow, though the usual Fall wonderful weather will be back soon. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, on the snow, Linda! Fall is my favorite, but what comes after is my least favorite. I'm hoping for a snowless October and November. I'm glad you enjoyed the poems:) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Kimberly, those pumpkins on your porch are so much fun! Happy fall, and thanks for sharing the dancing leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A transplanted northerner, "fall's festive confetti" is what I miss most. Thanks for sharing Heidi's delightful book, Kimberly. Your porch is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I (with Heidi's words) could bring a little fall to your neck of the woods, Michelle :)

      Delete
  7. What fabulous poems, love the word play and rhythm! And you have the BEST and most colorful Fall display on your front porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the poems and the front porch, jama. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Kimberly for inviting us in for a look into the fall season via your festive porch. I can see why your children and granddaughter enjoy Heidi's poems. They have wonderful rhyme and a beat to keep children excited to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi is a pro with wordplay! I'm so happy for all her success. Those pumpkins on your porch are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a beautiful fall here in Maine and I've been enjoying the leaf confetti. I love your festive porch! Heidi's book has always been a favorite with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying fall in your neck of the woods, Molly, and that your students are still enjoying Heidi's book :)

      Delete
  11. Welcome, fall! It's my favorite season, too. Thank you for sharing these delightful poems. I'm ready to dance with those leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Kay. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this look back to what is clearly a classic--that I missed! These poems will work well with my preK kids. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance to get a copy of the book, your kiddos will enjoy each and every poem. It's a delight!

      Delete
  13. Such sweet poetry for little ones. I'll have to share these with my Kindergarten poets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Christie, and I'm sure your little ones will enjoy them, too :)

      Delete
  14. I love your porch! Fall is my favorite season, too! And thanks for sharing Heidi's wonderful poems. I don't have grandkids yet, but I think I'll get a copy of that to share with the kiddos I work with (and maybe grandchildren someday).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and checking in. I love hearing from you.